Election Day Information​

General Election, November 5th, 2024

Other Important Election Dates

Last day to register for General Election: October 7th at 4:00PM

Mail-In Absentee Ballot – September 21st – October 22nd, 2024
Saturday, September 21st – Online mail-in absentee request portal to open
(45 days before the election).
Tuesday, October 22nd – online mail-in absentee request portal to close
(14 days before the election) at 11:59PM

Ballots for the November 2024 General may be returned by mail, or to the secure drop box located outside the Union County Courthouse during normal business hours of 8:30AM-4:30PM, Monday-Friday. Ballots must be received in the clerk’s office by November 5th, 2024 at 6:00PM.

In-Person Excused Absentee – October 23rd-25th & 28th-30th, 2024, 8:30AM-4:30PM in County Clerk’s Office

3 Day Early Voting – October 31st & November 1st & 2nd, 2024, 8:30AM-4:30PM at Union County Senior Center (225 Richards Lane Morganfield, KY 42437)

Election Day – Tuesday, November 5th, 2024. Polls open 6:00AM-6:00PM.

Sample Ballot – 2024 Primary Sample Ballot

Election Results – 2024 Primary Election Results (TBD)

Q: Where is my polling place?

A: You can find your polling place at elect.ky.gov/Voters/Pages/Polling-Locations.aspx.

Q: Am I entitled to time off for voting on Election Day?

A: If you are working on Election Day, you may be entitled to a maximum of four consecutive hours off from work in order to vote or cast an absentee ballot if you make a request for time off with your employer.
Your employer may specify the hours you may take leave to cast a ballot.

Q: What identification can I bring to the polling place?

A: All voters must produce identification at the polling place.

Q: What time are the polls open on Election Day?

A: Polls are open from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM local time. If you are in line at 6:00 PM, you will be allowed to vote.

Q: I registered to vote, but I did not receive a confirmation card.

A: Contact us at 270-389-1334 to find out the status of your address confirmation.

Q: Do I have to vote according to party affiliation?

A: Kentucky conducts political party primaries before each General Election. In Primary Elections, voters may only vote for candidates of their same political affiliation and non-partisan candidates. In General Elections, voters may choose to vote for candidates of any party.

Q: How do I switch political parties?

A: You can change your political party at vrsws.sos.ky.gov/ovrweb/, or by submitting an updated registration application to your county clerk.

Q: I will be out of town on Election Day. How can I vote?

A: You can vote absentee in person or by mail. Contact us at 270-389-1334 to request an absentee voting application.

Voter Registration

Q: How do I register to vote?

A: You can register online, or by submitting a voter registration card by mail or in-person.

Q: How do I check if I am registered to vote?

A: You can verify your voter registration online at GoVoteKY.com.


Q: Do I have to register before each election?

A: No, once you have registered to vote, you do not have to re-register for each election. Re-registration is necessary only if you have moved or legally changed your name.

Q: I recently moved, do I have to update my registration?

A: Yes, updating your registration is necessary if you have moved or legally changed your name. You can make updates to your registration online, or by submitting a voter registration application by mail or in-person.


Q: The deadline to register has passed, can I still update my registration?

A: No, once the voter registration deadline has passed, the voter registration rolls are frozen until after the next election.


Q: I am a U.S. Citizen residing overseas, how do I register to vote?

A: For information on how to register or obtain a ballot, visit Military and Overseas Voters.

Q: I am in the military, how can I request a ballot?

A: For information on how to obtain an absentee ballot, visit Military and Overseas Voters.

Q: How do I cancel my voter registration?

A: To cancel your voter registration, contact the KY State Board ​of Elections.


Q: I am 17 years old, can I register to vote?

A: State law allows for pre-registration at 17 years of age, but you must be 18 years of age on or before the next General Election Day to vote. If you are 17 and will be 18 on the next General Election, you may vote in the Primary Election.


Q: How many people are registered to vote in Kentucky?

A: The State Board of Elections runs registration reports every month. Review this year’s registration reports here.

Scan with your phone to visit

Absentee Voting

Absentee Paper Ballots

Voters unable to get to the polls on Election Day are eligible to vote by paper absentee ballot.

You must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Due to advanced age, disability, illness, or medical emergency.
  • You are a member of the Armed forces.
  • You are a dependent of a member of the Armed forces.
  • You are a student attending school outside the county of your voter registration.
  • You temporarily reside outside the state but are still eligible to vote in Kentucky.
  • You are incarcerated in jail and have been charged but not convicted of a crime.

You may request an application for the paper ballot in person, by mail, by phone, or by fax.

The application must be completed & mailed to the County Clerk prior to 7 days before the election. Once the Clerk receives the application, the paper ballot will be sent to the voter. Please allow ample time for your ballot to be returned to you & to be mailed back to the clerk to be received by 6 P.M. on Election Day.

Voting by Absentee Machine

If you are going to be out of town on Election Day and you do not qualify for a paper ballot, you may vote on an absentee machine in the County Clerk’s office at least 12 days prior to the election.

For more details contact the Union County Clerk’s Office at 270-389-1334.

How do I become a poll-worker?

Skip to content